The Attic’s Life Skills Center provides the following programs to assist LGBTQ youth in building the skills necessary to succeed in school, their jobs or careers, and the community:
- Creative Action Groups (CAGs)- During the school year (September- June), The Attic offers 12-week sessions of CAGs on topics such as screen printing, creative writing, LGBT history, cooking, film, theater, fashion, and more. CAGs use a project-based learning model in which the group seeks to answer a driving question or solve a problem related to the topic. Youth present a performance or presentation of their project at the end of each CAG session. See the current calendar for more information.
- Activity Groups- The Attic offers activity groups throughout the year, such as dance, games, music, movie discussions, and more. See the current calendar for more information.
- Life Coaching- Attic life coaches meet with youth individually to discuss career possibilities, develop resumes, apply for financial aid, search for jobs, practice for interviews, and more.
- Summer Internship Opportunities- Each summer, The Attic offers paid summer internship opportunities available for youth.
- Mentoring- The Attic offers a mentoring program to pair LGBTQ youth with adult professionals from the community.
- Leadership Development- At The Attic, there are many opportunities for youth to build and enhance leadership skills, such as participating in the Youth Planning Committee (The Attic’s youth governance board), assisting in the development and evaluation of Attic programming, sitting on The Attic’s Board of Directors, speaking on training panels through The Attic’s Bryson Institute, and taking on leadership roles in various groups and committees within the Philadelphia LGBTQ community.
- Computer Use- The Attic has computers, printers, and Wi-Fi available for youth to use to complete homework, apply for jobs, develop resumes, etc.