Director of Development
Job Title: Director of Development
Reports to: Interim Executive Director
Director of Development oversees fundraising program and position the organization for further growth. In partnership with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors, the Director of Development will oversee strategies to raise funds from individuals, foundations, corporations, and the government sector.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Development will oversee the development department of The Attic, which includes:
- Planning and Strategy- Drive the work of the development department including long-term, annual, and day-to-day planning, prioritizing, and management of The Attic’s development work. Create an annual fundraising plan in collaboration with Attic staff and board leadership.
- Donor Relations- Manage The Attic’s giving program, developing the strategies, cultivation activities, materials/messages, and stewardship programs required to attract and retain gifts from individuals. Work with The Attic’s Executive Director and Board to find, cultivate, and solicit new major donors. Prepare the E.D. and board for donor meetings. Build relationships with donors.
- Grant Writing and Grants Management- Maintain and expand our grants program, draft and edit grant proposals and/or work in collaboration with a grant writing consultant to develop proposals, prepare timely grant reports, steward relationships with existing foundation donors, cultivate new foundations, and develop strategies for aligning The Attic’s programmatic goals and projects with the interests of corporate foundations. Manage grant tracking and record keeping.
- Event Planning- Work in collaboration with the Executive Director and Board to organize small events that would enhance The Attic’s donor cultivation strategies. Plan larger fundraising events on a less frequent basis.
- Marketing and Communications- Supervise and develop content for online and offline fundraising campaigns and newsletters (direct mail, social media, and email). Create content for Attic website, social media accounts, and print marketing materials.
- Information Management- Ensure ongoing communication with donors, timely gift acknowledgement, accurate record keeping in Salesforce, and tracking and reporting.
- Board of Directors- Partner effectively with The Attic’s Board to raise funds for the organization. Participate in Board committees as needed.
- Community Relations- Serve as external facing ambassador for The Attic with existing supporters and the community of potential future supporters. Assist with coordinating volunteers who inquire about service at The Attic.
- Other- Other development functions as needed.
- Participate in supervisory meetings.
- Participate in any facility meetings and in staff meetings if/when necessary
- Participate in Attic events when necessary
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in building relationships with employees and Attic youth
Attic Youth Center Values
- Treat all youth, visitors and employees with caring, kindness, respect and dignity
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all information
- Adhere to the policies, procedures, code of conduct and attendance rules of The Attic Youth Center
- Bachelors degree or higher and Minimum 5+ years of relevant experience in a nonprofit fundraising environment, including at least 3 years of previous grant writing experience. Familiarity with regional and local funders a plus.
- Proven track record of cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual and institutional donors in traditional and creative ways.
- Strong program management skills.
- Excellent writer and communicator- ability to make The Attic’s work come alive through written materials, stories, and talking points. Please include a writing sample of a grant or appeal letter.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills; relationship-builder.
- Strategic thinker.
- Ability to plan effectively, meet all deadlines, and coordinate the involvement of others.
- Ability to maintain high standards of ethics, integrity, and professionalism, including dealing with sensitive donor information.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency with donor management databases (The Attic currently uses Salesforce).
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Passionate about The Attic’s mission to create opportunities for LGBTQ youth.
- Dedicated commitment to youth development and social justice.
- A strong and demonstrated commitment to racial equity.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access various rooms, file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office machinery, such as a computer, copy machine, etc.
- The person in this position frequently communicates with youth, staff, and external stakeholders, etc. Must be able to exchange information in these situations.
How to Apply:
If interested, please send a writing sample, resume, and cover letter to [email protected] with “Development Director" in the subject line of the email. Prospective candidates will be contacted.
The Attic Youth Center is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.